Creating a Windows 10 Bootable USB Drive
Table of Content
Windows 10 is the latest version and is easy to be connected using a USB flash drive. To create a windows ten bootable USB drive, you need some necessary equipment.
- USB flash drive with a minimum of 5GB space. Ensure that you don’t have any critical data in your flash drive as this is the device through which you make the formatting.
- Windows 10 install .iso or a DVD for installation.
- Source PC used to format the USB drive
- Destination PC in which you want to install Windows.
Format USB drive
Like the first step, you need to format the drive. Keep the primary partition key active.
See these screenshots to better understand how you can do it, easy way.
Step 1. Plug-in the USB drive in the USB port on your laptop or PC, go to my computer section and find your USB Drive, right-click on mouse and you’ll see details similar or close to image bellow, Find Format option, click on it
Step 2. You’ll see a window like on the screenshot below, Choose file system, mostly it’s NTFS, there are other formatting versions but, in this case, we need NTFS, choose allocation size 4096.
Check or uncheck “Quick Format” section, by default it’s checked, you can use quick format if your USB drive is new, or in good condition, if you choose full formatting option, it may take a lot of time, depends on the capacity of USB drive
Step 3. Then connect it to Technician PC.
Step 4. Go to Start, right-click, and open Disk management.
Formatting the Partition
- Now you need to format the partition. For this, Select FORMAT by right-clicking on the USB drive partition.
- You will see the FAT 32 file system. Click on it. With this, you will be able to boot UEFI- based or BIOS-based PCs.
- To see your partition status active, set MARK PARTITION AS ACTIVE when you right-click on the USB drive partition. In some systems, you will find a DISKPART option instead of MARK PARTITION AS ACTIVE. This also serves the purpose of you.
Copying Content of Windows to the New PC
The contents of the Windows DVD or ISO have to be transferred to the USB flash drive. For this, you can use Windows File Explorer. Just copy-paste the contents and you there.
Installing Fresh Windows 10
Remove USB flash drive from Technician PC and connect it to the new PC.
Now your data is copied to the new PC. The keys like F10, F12, and Esc keys are used to open the menu that selects the boot device. You can now boot the PC by clicking the right key and retrieve data from a flash drive.
The system automatically starts, and by following simple steps that the system guides you with, Windows can be installed.
Once the installation is complete, you can remove the USB flash drive from the computer.
Installing Windows Using Rufus
Another simple way of installing Windows with USB flash drive is through Rufus.
1) Open Rufus.exe and plug in your USB.
2) Once you plug USB in, you can find Create a bootable USB drive option. You get a list of options from the drop-down list from where you can choose an ISO image.
3) Now, select the option Windows 10 from the drop-down list
4)click on the button next to the dropdown and select the Windows 10 ISO that you want to install
5) Finally, press the START button and pause for a few minutes. Your bootable USB drive will be created in just minutes.
This is all, and your USB drive is created. By ensuring that BIOS is set up, you can plug in your freshly created USB into the device. Windows 10 will be installed easily in a few minutes.